Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Springfield Class - 7/25/2006

Me, Tim, and Bhanu went to Jong's class last night. It was Bhanu's first time, Tim's second, and my first in a while. Jong and Gino were there and a new girl named Kristen from Illinois or Indiana; I don't remember which.

We started with ukemi; basic zempo, koho, and sokuho kaiten. I've been neglecting my ukemi lately and the ground there isn't as comfortable as it is at my place so my body didn't like it at first. It didn't take long to get back into the flow though. After that we did the sanshin gokyo no kata. Kristen did ka and ku slightly differently. Bhanu did them all differently. Haha, just kidding man. After that we did three kihon moves: omote gyaku, hon gyaku, and oni kudaki. To finish the evening we did two exercises involving taking the balance.



  1. Uke: Diajodan shomengiri.
    Tori: From shizen no kamae. Step forward to the inside of the cut and maintain shizen no kamae. Step across in front of the uke taking their space and capturing their arms with your arm. Capture from below. Keep your shoulders facing the uke when you step in front of them. With your free hand you can affect the spine using the uke's shoulder or head. Also apply appropiate footwork.


  2. Uke: Double lapel grab.
    Tori: Use the uke's elbows to take their balance.



I had a good time. It was nice training with them again since it's been over a month since I was there last. Gino was promoted to 8th kyu so congratulations to him. This Sunday me, Tim, and Bhanu might do some paint balling. That'll be a different kind of training. Gambatte!

No comments: