Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Arlington Class - 8/22/2006

Roger just returned from Japan and it was he, Lauren, and myself. Forget everything you think you know about taijutsu. That is not how's it done over there these days. OK, it's not quite like that but it is really different to me. That may not say much though since I've never been to Japan or trained with any of the Japanese shihan. Shizen no kamae is different. In self defense shizen is the most useful kamae. That particularly isn't news but what is news is that the other kamae are really just transitions from one shizen to the next. Actually, that isn't news either. That principle has always been known but it just doesn't seem to be practiced and I guess the reason for that is in my experience ichimonji is the dominate kamae and not shizen. Seiza no kamae is the same as shizen no kamae.

Attacking while retreating is important. Move in to strike at the same time you're evading your uke's attack. Even when evading maintain/claim that space you normally would have open. It's as simple as extending an arm. Control the rhythm of the fight. Attack in between beats. One of my previous instructions taught this also and that has been the only other time I've heard this point. Ikken hasso (one fist inifite ways) is important. Using the feet like hands is important. Especially when doing suwari gata. Spinning kicks are cool. One of my previous instructors did them and I loved it. I think I saw Kacem do a couple at a seminar before too.

If you want to be the best mimic the best.

Gambatte dattebayo.

No comments: